Omakase

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

My read on the '04 Nader run for President is much like this article The Village Voice: Nation: Mondo Washington: Dems Call Ralph by James Ridgeway

I think Dems should view Nader more like an option - from now until November he's another accredited anti-Bush voice, but if the race is close he can bail out, and even boost the Democratic nominee's campaign by formally endorsing him (Kerry?)

Yes, if Nader goes the distance he's a net siphon on the Dems' candidate, but don't put it in the books yet.

INcidentally, while I don't very much agree with Nader's politics, I do appreciate the passion and consistency that he has.


On a related note, this marks the fourth election in a row with a major independent (or, more accurately non-Dem or non-Republican) candidate. (Perot and Nader.)

Perot peaked at 19% of the vote, and Nader gained 9% in '00. I sure hope that someday soon another independent candidate can build on this momentum and present a candidacy free of typical party politics.

No comments:

With my new friends on the Great Wall of China

With my new friends on the Great Wall of China
Click to go to my online photography

World sun clock

Uncommon Man's Creed

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon -- if I can. I seek opportunity -- not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I wish to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole, I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence, nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master, nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid, to think and act for myself, to enjoy the benefit of my creations, and to face the world boldly and say, "this I have done." All this is what it means to be an American." -- Anonymous