Omakase

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Seinfeld + Clemson = snacking insight.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George double-dips his chip, drawing the ire of another party-goer? (see film below) I remember when the episode first aired, and how it made everyone more sensitive, though I wondered if there was any research behind it.

Well, it turns out that that paragon of higher education, Emclons* University, has conducted research in this area. Their conclusion: yes, double-dipping does transfer extra bacteria, but not much - probably the equivalent of a kiss' worth. This means that you probably shouldn't be concerned if you're snacking with family, but you might want to be careful at a larger party of strangers.




* Emclons is a spelling of Clemson used at least once. One year, Clemson's football team came to Charlottesville as a big underdog. As any other school, Clemson brought cheerleaders with C, L, E, M, S, O, N flags that would run on to the field to spell Clemson following a touchdown. Well, Clemson played so well (and UVa so poorly) that Clemson's 3rd TD in the first quarter made the cheerleaders so giddy that they ran onto the field with the flags grossly out of order, spelling EMCLONS.

Hat tip: WSJ Health Blog.

No comments:

With my new friends on the Great Wall of China

With my new friends on the Great Wall of China
Click to go to my online photography

World sun clock

Uncommon Man's Creed

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon -- if I can. I seek opportunity -- not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I wish to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole, I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence, nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master, nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud, and unafraid, to think and act for myself, to enjoy the benefit of my creations, and to face the world boldly and say, "this I have done." All this is what it means to be an American." -- Anonymous